The AR New into Old awards speak of what we inherit and preserve, why we assemble and transform, and how the spaces we appropriate can be reimagined to suggest that the world could be different.
Enter your projects using our simple registration process. All projects must have been completed after January 2018, and there are no restrictions on programme, budget or location.
Early bird deadline: 17 February – £349 per entry + VAT
Final entry deadline: 31 March - £399 per entry + VAT
- All entries will be reviewed by the expert international judging panel who will choose a shortlist of 15 projects.
- The top 6 commended projects will then be visited by an independent critic before the winner is selected by the judges.
- All shortlisted projects will be featured in the July/August issue of The Architectural Review , with in-depth building studies for the top 6.
- Photographs of the winning project will be considered by the editorial team for the front cover of The Architectural Review.
- All shortlisted projects will be promoted on the AR website, emails and via social media to its more than a million readers worldwide.
- All entrants will have their project listed on the AR New into Old awards website, each with an image and URL.
The winner, judges and some of the commended architects will be invited to present their project and discuss the new lease of life we can give to buildings at an exclusive event at Holcim’s new premises near Lyon, France, in the autumn.
What to enterThe AR New into Old awards focus on buildings that have been adapted and remodelled to welcome new contemporary uses. Rather than simple renovations, eligible projects must evidence a programmatic change and have been completed in the last five years. If you have any questions about whether your project is eligible, please drop a line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to enter?
- Register on the entry page .
- Start your entry, which will consist of:
- two A2 boards, uploaded as two separate PDF files containing compressed images, drawings and vectorised text
- boards must include drawings (at least one plan and one section) of the project, photographs (before/after shots are always helpful) and a short explanatory text (~250 words are recommended) as well as the project location (city or region and country). It is important that the boards communicate the project’s story, and particularly the transformation that took place: what was existing and what has changed with the intervention
- please note that files should not exceed 12Mb and boards must be anonymous, otherwise they may be disqualified
- one high-resolution JPEG image (480x480px) and accompanying credit, which will be added to our gallery of entries on this website
- Submit your entry via the online entry form by the deadline (31 March 2023). You can start and save your entry to come back to it at any point before the deadline.
To help you:
- To ensure anonymity in judging, no names of entrants or collaborating parties may appear on any part of the board.
- You can view entry board examples of the 2021 AR New into Old winner, Farsh Film Studio by ZAV Architects: board 1 and board 2.
If you are submitting multiple entries and would like a discount code, or have any queries at all please contact
Use of images of promotional material:
The Architectural Review reserves the right to make use of images of winning projects (both in print and digital media) for promotional material and editorial use in connection with the award. For instance, this might include publicising an exhibition (of winning entries), a lecture series (featuring the winning architects), or promoting the award itself. Use of material in this capacity either in whole or part will not attract payment of copyright. Where we are made aware of their names, photographers will be credited.